Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hey Donegal Times!

So the Mammy sends me out the the last 2 Donegal Times, and what do I see on the essay about Lough Eske Castle are two photographs that I and the sister took of the Castle in 1995:

One of the Mammy and Me taken by Jeannie:
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~mtimony/Donegal/Gifs/leskecastlemain.gif
And one from another day where I went for a hike up the mountains:
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~mtimony/Donegal/Gifs/lougheskemain.gif

Now I don't mind people using my pictures, but it's rude not to ask permissions, and it's even ruder not to provide credit to whomever took the pics. Just because it's on the Internet, doesn't mean you can just go off and just grab it, and using it for a commercial publication without asking isn't right either. If they had asked I would have glady given them permission (and maybe provided even better photographs). So Donegal Times please ask photographers before you use their photographs.

3 comments:

taung said...

That's more than a bit rude, I'd say, Mick! I didn't realise that the Donegal Times was a commercial venture, I thought it was more a community effort?

You'll have to get your lawyers on the job! Maybe you'll get a front page apology in the next printed edition!!!

Mick T. said...

Hi taung,

>I didn't realise that the Donegal Times was a commercial venture, I thought it was more a community effort?

Er, I'm not sure. But they do charge for the paper, and wouldn't that make it a commercial venture, or maybe it's a non-profit? Anyone know, or can anyone from the Times clarify?

Anyways, I should just write to the Times and just ask them to credit any photographs they use.

christinajirwin said...

good luck with that. i've never come across such territorial journos and photographers than in this town. another local paper credits every last photo by their staff photographer but not anyone elses!