Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Anybody know what this musical instrument is called?

Anyone know what this instrument is? If you click on the photo to enlarge you will see indentations in the top half which produce pitched sounds similar to steel drums but higher. If the instrument is turned over, the other half produces more percussive sounds. I took the photo in Frankfurt and would really like to find out more about the instrument as the sound from it was amazing..

Update from Mick: I hope Ciaran doesn't mind me editing his post! This looks like the instrument, it does sound really neat:


Barry C said...

It's a Wok. As in Wok 'n Woll.

Mick T. said...

It's a Hang Drum:


Ciaran Mc said...

Thanks lads. I actually found out a bit more about it since.. Originally created in Switzerland, the hang is a very recent instrument first introduced in 2000. The drum in the photo appears to be the 2006 model usually referred to as the 2nd generation hang. So there you go.. wondering about it for months and suddenly info appears from everywhere but well done Barry & Mick.. on the ball!!
Ciaran Mc